About The District
Covering the northeast section of the San Fernando Valley, the 7th City Council District includes the communities of Pacoima, Lake View Terrace, Panorama City, Mission Hills, North Hills, and Sylmar. The area features a mix of prime industrial/manufacturing space and diverse, working-class neighborhoods. The district completely surrounds the City of San Fernando.
- Light to major manufacturing, especially in Sylmar, Pacoima and Sun Valley areas.
- Major industries include construction, medical products/services, entertainment services, plastics, technology, food processing, printing.
- Major employers include Allied Signal, Tutor Construction, Precision Dynamics.
- Commercial retail/service firms, including Galpin Ford, largest auto dealer in the west; major soft drink distributors; Walmart.
- Diverse and abundant pool of both skilled and semi-skilled labor, including manufacturing as well as retail/service workers.
- Pacoima lies within the L.A. Community Development Bank service area, with local businesses eligible for low-interest loans and loan guarantees, technical assistance, venture capital, other incentives; area is also within special State Revitalization Zone offering various tax incentives, hiring credits, etc.
- Excellent access to the Golden State (I-5), Foothill (I-210), San Diego (I-405) and Simi Valley(SR-118) freeways, connecting district to other areas of the city.
- Metrolink rail transit lines serving Moorpark/Oxnard, Santa Clarita traverse district. Stops include Van Nuys and Sylmar/San Fernando stations. Whiteman Airport general aviation facility located in district; Van Nuys, Burbank airports adjacent.
- Prime industrial space available at competitive rates.
- Several prominent commercial corridors, including Laurel Canyon, Glenoaks and Van Nuys Boulevards, San Fernando Road.
- 100-acre former General Motors assembly facility has been redeveloped into $100 million mixed-use complex, including 300,000 square feet of retail, 520,000 square feet of light industrial space, in addition to movie theaters.
- Diverse housing options available in wide price range.
- Pockets of more affordable housing include Sylmar, Pacoima, Arleta; Lake View Terrace, and Mission Hills more middle to upper-middle class.
- L.A. Mission College located in district.
- Numerous public and private K-12 schools, including several magnet, charter and LEARN schools offering enriched curricula in a variety of subjects.
- Variety of preschools and community child care centers.
Major Health Care Facilities/Hospitals
- Mission Community Hospital (14850 Roscoe Blvd., Panorama City, CA 91402-4677)
- Olive View - UCLA Medical Center (14445 Olive View Drive, Sylmar, CA, 91342)
- Providence Holy Cross Hospital (15031 Rinaldi St., Mission Hills, CA 91345)
- Kaiser Permanente (13652 Cantara St., Panorama City, CA 91402)
- Facey Medical Group (11211 Sepulveda Blvd., Mission Hills, CA 91345)
Points of Interest
- District includes several large community recreation centers and parks, including Hansen Dam Park; two public golf courses.
- San Fernando Mission.
- Panorama Mall is the district's major shopping area; others, including Valley Plaza and Laurel Plaza, adjacent.